Thursday, October 7, 2010

Labels

I got up the other day and started off my day amazingly! I was awake on-time, took a shower, had some fantastic hot tea, and headed out for the day. Now this was all awesome, but going back to as I got out of the shower, I got a wake-up call. I got out and grabbed my towel, and one thing about me to know is that I always always always use the side of the towel with the tag for my hair, and the other side for the rest.

So I had the towel in my had, but I saw no tag; it was gone, and for a moment I didn't know what to do. I was lost. I froze. ... Ok so I realize that I sound completely crazy, but here's why it got to me so much: it was a label, something so seemingly insignificant, but it affected me. This got me thinking about all the labels in the world and how we rely on them; labels like race, gender, age, religion (or lack of it), education, political standing, finances, and countless more, more than we could probably ever list. Can you imagine if suddenly all labels were gone?

wonderful? terrible?

Well, there would be no racism, sexism, different religious disputes, age issues, etc. So. . . good right? On the other side of this, there would be no reason to live... just another mannequin in an emotionally empty world. No one would ever want or care to work at getting their name known; how would they? None would feel significant because labels are what separate us one from another, make us individual, who we are. What would be the point of working hard and gaining nothing?

So why not just celebrate our differences as beautiful individuality?

We are defined by so many worldly things, but what would the world be like if we were completely founded and defined in God? Instead of all the labels the world tries to pin onto me, I would simply be known as a child of God who's labels don't matter, because God can use me no matter what my limitations are. He IS the one who created me in the first place. Labels are necessary for many areas in life though, because they give us something to fight for, a side to be on, a way to feel like we matter; but wouldn't it be great if ninety-nine percent of those labels disappeared, and the only ones left would be 'Jesus or No Jesus, Holy Spirit or No Holy Spirit, God or no God.' What a way to prioritize!

No comments:

Post a Comment