Friday, July 16, 2010

Watermelon Status Quo

So I was sitting in my room... it was quite late and I was getting those familiar hunger pangs. For some strange reason, my body is never hungry at the right time; around midnight every night, my body starts screaming at me as it struggles to get my stomach un-twisted. On this particular night I walked sleepily into the family kitchen to see what I could find (prefferably healthy). To my great surprise, there was some juicy watermelon sitting on a plate in the middle of the table, and in perfect condition I might add.

It was almost as though someone had been reading my mind and put it out just as soon as I was ready. Hmmmm... A middle of the night snack slave. Nice! Maybe I should start invisioning a good massage. Although I am quite certain that if a strange figure came out of the dark and started rubbing my back... I would kick some serious butt!
That however has not happened, so it does not present itself to be a problem quite yet. My real problem is bigger... Here's how it happened: As mentioned before, I stumbled into the kitchen to find the ready (and healthy) snack, so I took a slice and ate it as I headed back to my room feeling very satisfied. This unfortunately did not last long; I soon found my insides complaining, so headed back to fill the source of my desire and then once again, back to bed. This happened once more, so I had now consumed three slices of watermelon; my problem is that there was four cut pieces. I looked at the last slice sorrowfully: "I'm sorry, but I just don't need you." If I ate it, I would be a greedy fatty... well... anyways... But if I did not eat it, the last slice would not fullfill it's reason for ever existing in the first place! It didn't have that much longer, and would never make it until morning. It was just sitting there by itself looking so helpless. I turned around and started back to my bedroom, all the while betraying the poor little... well... fruit...

Perhaps we can go a little deeper. How many things in life do we accept, simply because they seem somewhat, maybe, possibly necessary? No, I did not end up going back for that last slice even though watermelon consists of 92% water and really would have done no damage to me in any way. I simply did not need it. Is there something in your life that you let slide because there is no noticeable damage?

Humor me and consider one more scenario; perhaps on this particular night, every time I go back, another piece has appeared that replaces the last I took; constantly available. Each time seems like the first, "ooooooOoo a plate of watermelon, yum!" Soon enough I have forgotten how many slices I have consumed... my tummy hurts, I am exhausted from walking back and forth between my bedroom and the kitchen, and I reeeeeeeeaaaaaally have to pee!

Okay, so a slightly exaggerated story to get my point across, what's new? I guess all there is to take away from this is that things can get out of hand really fast when we are not focusing; it's Satan's favorite game! Like hide and seek, except you really don't want to find what's crouching, quietly waiting. Rather carry the light God gives, and the tools and knowledge that prepare us for whatever trouble our human desires lead us into.

1 comment:

  1. ohmysnap.....I love midnight fruit. Lol my posion of choice is typically cantelope though. It's the best worst habit EVER.

    ReplyDelete